I sent a message to @@@@@, your Quality Manager, who must be working very hard to gain her footing to move heaven and earth to make most any plant wide positive change within your company.
In your role within Executive Level Leadership, who set policy and precedence, aside from being a large manufacturer, you are a huge "Machine of Influence" throughout your company, and no stranger to people trying to improve things over many years. So if things haven’t changed, a lot of failures have been logged aside every previous attempt, please consider a few suggestions which may mirror those of your own employees, or those in similar challlenging work environments, who are waiting for things to start looking up.
If a company is not too far gone over to “The Dark Side,” and not content to wander aimlessly out in a realm too far of reach into some “Black Hole” of abyss, and they truly want to come back down to earth, it’s worth trying to contact them to help bring them back safely home to earth.
It may seem like a long and rough ride back, but once the direction is set and the path is cleared, it’s not so bad. Each failed attempt embedded a deeper and stronger root strength résistance to being removed. People around the source have developed thick skin to repel such offers to help in even the simple and most valiant worthy efforts.
If you or your Executive Management and Leadership has bit given up putting their full weight of power, authority and weight behind continuous improvement efforts, no matter whose feathers gets ruffled and need help getting it done, I'd like to help.
It's a hell of a fight when changes sorely needed are widely known and apparent…yet go ignored. After years these oversights are forgiven and even endorsed by repeated failures to acknowledge the presence of any problem at all, it boils down to a simple choice, to do it no matter what, in spite of the unknown riffs which are sure to follow, and pick direction an obvious direction to start, which has long known to be in the middle of people seemingly content to stay in that fog and state of being “Obliviously Unaware,” who couldn’t be concerned less…and get in their space to clear things up. They may think you’re getting in their face, and yes, they won’t be entirely wrong, but if they choose to feel that way, that may confirm the reason you’re there in the first place. In the second place, it may make the greatest start in turning things around.
Great leaders are known for their stand on principles, ethics, morals and principles while being regarded for their notable honorable traits put into daily practice which influences every other leadership role and position. People yearn to work for such people, and to many people without a voice, without the weight of responsibility or authority to change it, it’s just a dream.
Splashing around in someone else’s pool of influence is not only frowned upon, it may even get you fired. They may give and go elsewhere worse yet, stay…and become one of the larger body of “The Walking Dead,” with no emotion, no feeling, no voice, no concern and without hope. No company needs another cloned member, committed to confusion and disarray going to work for them daily, to “eke-out” another day’s work in meager existence.
Employees cannot approach their leaders, tap them on the forehead and say, “Wake Up, we need your help!” They certainly won’t expect it nor even believe it when it happens, if and when your company makes the decision to start moving in a more positive direction.
When companies make the turn on any changes, you’ll begin to notice an immediate hope start to flourish, beaming with a tent of increasing respect and appreciation from those who look to their leadership.
Leaders who are not held in such high regard today, does not mean that they will not change and improve tomorrow, or soon after they themselves, decide to lead the charge, and champion change.
It starts from the top down and this is not “New-News,” to anyone. If it’s good or bad, it goes downhill. In this age of transparency and glaring lights shining on the way everything in done, by all executives in a role of leadership, they are on the “Proving Ground” and they are daily adding to and helping or hurting their own legacy, as well as the legacy, value and worth of the entire company. Knowing this is only going to be more apparent in the weeks and years ahead…may they now begin to “Tread Rightly” while making this transition by choice!
It’s a dream of the people who are always focused on their leaders. people in positions with weight, authority and responsibility, as well as those who've earned the clout through seniority and relationships...who are dug in, and will fight tooth and nail, and change in THEIR area, department on THEIR watch.
But war is hell, whether it's worth it or not, only the leaders get to choose their level of commitment.
After reading performance reviews in most every catagory and employee would comment I sent this note to a Quality Manager of a particular company who may may need a lifeline from some hero who may not even exist in "The Marvel Comic Hero's" ;
After reading reviews of your company from employees: I had to write and offer you my congratulations on surviving the Vietnam of Training Grounds to invoke positive continuous improvements. Need Help? Rick 618-610-7590
SAMPLES OF TRAINING QUALITY CONTROL ASSESSMENTS and TRAINING AIDS; QUICK REFERENCE MATERIAL, PARTS AND PROCESS TRACKING
REVIEW CURRENT JOB FILES & CONTROLS: Current Methods: Learn All Processes including all Current Controls for the Sales, Planning and Complete Installation for each Type of Build. [Expandable and Attachable Document Updated with and for Changing Project Management Development Information]
a.Work With Crews: Learn How Things are done now, including all supporting information, how the job progress is being controlled, documented and tracked including all details, steps and costs.
b.Watch and Work on each Type of Job with each Employee and Build Teams.
c.Read, Learn and Understand Technology and corresponding Terminology Meanings, Acronyms and Watt/Voltage Capacities, Charts and Company Resources and methods used to Set and Build Units to Specifications.
Moving Forward on Current and Future Goals and Objectives: I’ll be taking notes, identifying opportunities to streamline and organize requested control factors on jobs, in light of current systems. This will help later efforts to suggest, draft, refine and offer options for you to consider for implementation of approved simplest and effective systems to develop with supporting procedural and documentation control practices and methods.
Below is a Quick Summary of the Generic “Bones” & Framework for Possible Design Considerations for MASTER JOB FILES: (Initial Feed-back--Options)
MASTER JOB FILES: SHOULD OR AN THEY INCLUDE ALL INFORMATION?
FUTURE JOB FILES & CONTROLS: SOLAR UNIT MANUAL & MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE: (Future Methods To Develop) Identify, Capture, Streamline, Organize and Simplify All Inclusive Job Information and Documentation for each Type of Build including: One great tip on setting up a master file system, is to include HIDDEN AND ACTIVE FIELDS, DESIGNED AND DESIGNATED FOR EACH PURPOSE:
Paul: Feel Free later, to Chew on these ideas for a while, and then Add, Change or Delete any you deem redundant or unnecessary based on your own experience and current systems you’ve already found which work best.
This is a collection from which to choose, to start gathering, and sorting out, and sifting through to collect and capture the best and most important and appropriate job information; to determine where it can be best organized in the future...going forward.
Based on your quick view and assessment from experiences; this can be chopped and refined very quickly. I’ve just listed the ones that are the most apparent OPTIONS and KNOWN methods which quickly came to mind, which MAY HELP YOU CHOOSE...THE WAY YOU CAN SEE THIS WORKING OUT BEST FOR YOU AND THE COMPANY.
Working on the Key, Most Important Factors-FIRST, (Biggest Bang for the Buck Theory) SEEMS LIKE THE BEST PART OF ANY PLAN, so I suggest you’d probably agree that this will be an ON-Going “TOUCH-STONE DIALOG” and Manner in which we HAVE ALREADY STARTED, and one which we can continue to build upon, going forward...according to my understanding of our conversation with you on this subject.
So...though the names can change, these ELEMENTS within systems I’ve found have the basic KEYS for building an ALL-Inclusive Control File, that helps track costs:
Later...quick meetings to collect your thoughts, will help me do my job for you like: What do you like and want to keep, get rid of first, or focus on? Insert the terms and acronyms that may correspond...which are probably already in use, which everyone is already used to using...unless THESE ITEMS/DESIGNATED BY THEIR USE, OR ANOTHER TERM LIKE THEM WITH A SIMILARLY DESCRIPTIVE NAME(s)...which might be better suited, or may be needed...just to help “PACK A NEEDED PUNCH-UP, TOWARDS ESTABLISHING A BETTER and more desirable level of COST CONTROLS and Level of Positive CHANGE?” The components and elements of each job file could look like this. My main question is “Can Your Current System Support The Following, or Are You in fact; Already doing much of this in a similar manner on some level(s)?
- DS&C: (Bid/Estimate-Chosen Name or Acronym Identifier): “DS&C” Details, Steps and Costs: Customer Expectations and Requirements, Start Dates, Parts Check List, Emails, Verbal, Written and Electronic Commitments, WDSI (Write it Don’t Say It) [Itemized To Do’s or Check Listings of Expandable and Attachable Documentation Updated with and for Changing Information; Customer Copy/View, Company Copy/View with Greater Details and Notes, Dates, Initials, Check Boxes] CUSTOMER VIEW COLOR:_________ COMPANY VIEW COLOR: _________
- Job WIP Travelers: (These Track all Work In Order) Work In Progress Travelers Which Track and Follow Job Production and Progress Including: [Itemized To Do’s or Check Listings of Expandable and Attachable Documentation Updated with and for Changing Information; Customer Copy/View, Company Copy/View with Greater Details and Notes, Dates, Initials, Check Boxes]
- These are great to copy and attach to “STAGED JOBS” COMPLETED JOBS FOR RETURNS TO STOCK, CHECKING TO MAKE SURE ALL ITEMS ARE STAGED, CONFIRMING, SIZE TYPES, AND WORK TO NOTATIONS WHICH MAY BE INCLUDED (Quick Reference short notes.) If a rule and policy is started that “All parts are to be identified, and all the backlog is caught up to this point...then going forward and holding this standard can be painless and more automatic, never having to address another such backlog of work that’s may or not be misidentified, or waiting to be put away, etc… This also prevents delays on the job, due to missing the items that could have and should have been checked off--on a handy check list reminder Router System like a WIP Router Traveler. Embarrassments saved and time delays avoided, helps ensure every next job’s start time and maybe even the start date.)
- Due to working materials movements, in and out of weather conditions, Cheap Plastic Sleeves with simple Cheap Attaching Methods may be needed, to attach anything. (Smaller Identifier Sleeve may also be useful to pre-stage and identify fixtures in “Cheap Boxes/Container System” designated for specific Quantitiy/Placement of parts to double check accurate numbers or proper components for each Client Job as well as those waiting for designated parts ordered and awaiting arrival.) Keeping them small with a Job Number that follows the work for the job with a TELLING AND DESCRIPTIVE JOB NUMBER, may be all that’s needed with a blank line to write the part number/qty.
- Hand written notes on travelers can be collected, a snap shot or condensed point captured to document progress or any change, going back into the main file system. (Hours, Repairs, Problems, Field Modifications made, Notes to send to vendors for refunds etc…) They can all go back into the system under each jobs proper field to aid in continuous improvement, documenting quality and efficiency issues and advisements helpful on the next similar job bidding and planning.
Sample Format of Detailed Instructions Matrix, for Quick Reference Reminders
Below is a sample of the detail which can be added to any WIP Router Traveler, Instructions or Quick Reference Sheet.
g.Used for Scheduling and Ordering of Parts, Parts Check Lists, Vendor Information: Parts Name/Description/Numbers [Identify and Clarify Part Number Distinctions between Vendor Parts Numbers for those Similar or Identical with Each Vendor and Clarify any Attached Company Part Number/Name] Quantity Required for Each Part/Unit or Build:
- Installation/Man Hours and Manpower Tracking Costs Sheet:
Preparation and Installation Hours:_____@____ph Total $_____i.
- Mileage/Gas Receipts/Expense Reports:
- Parts Inventory Control Log System: (Standardized Parts in lower quantities should be a breeze compared to a the Fluid Power Company which had upwards of 600 pages of unique parts.) This system worked for them.
Your company is running lean with multiple cross function operations with the current staff of manpower. Thus, many hats are being worn, which can be a challenge to draw distinctive lines between people and the over-lapping functions being performed on SIMILAR FUNCTIONS.
HOWEVER, if all functions are tracked individually WITH A SIMPLE SYSTEM, CHRONOLOGICALLY ORDERED TO SUITE EVERY BUILD IN SOME REPEATABLE FORMAT, THEN THOSE CHECKS AND BALANCES ON QUALITY, EFFICIENCY with ALL RELATED COSTS, CAN BE BETTER TRACKED CONSISTENTLY.
I look forward to working within the means and schedules of all things which need to be done. These examples and ideas may simply be considered “Grains of Salt of Thoughts on these subjects and samples, which may need “Time To Bake,” to best tender the knowledge applied in the wisest manner.” When I learn more of your views, from your perspective, better laid plans can be the key to implement the best ACTION PLANS.
Starting the process of tracking changes. I’m comfortable with starting from scratch and have done this from the beginnings of the likes of: A shoe-box full of scratched notes, of hours, machines, counts, different people, times, places, details etc...from God knows where, to come up with a working model.
Collecting them and organizing them helps see the flow of each type, volume and each source of supplied information. This method is tested as the system only has to expand to adapt to fit “The Usage Volume Type and Applications” instead of starting with “Changes So Large that the system itself becomes too cumbersome and a bit Overwhelming.” So...show boxes work well, and I’m used to working on a Shoe-String Budget to save time. I’ve found it’s an expedient approach and more rewarding to build from the Current NEEDS rather than those which may be... WAY TOO FAR down the line.
I’ve included a useful tool that could be used as a good working template to help on other subjects discussed just.